Volanti are a subset of humanity born with wings. The name of the race is an archaic terms meaning winged men; Volanti is both a singular or plural term. Volanti are descendants of the high priests of Ashaneron in Auldelia whos bodies were blessed for their service but few take to the priestly duties now that their sponsor nation was torn asunder by strive in the last millennium. Elsewhere in the world volanti are rare to the extent that some sages have mistakenly relegated them to the category of pure myth. Volanti are reclusive yet occasionally lone wanderer break from their secluded glades in the deep forests of Auldelia. These are exceptional youngsters bent on an instinctual quest to prove themselves and return to their people either with riches and wisdom, or not at all.
- +2 Dex, Volanti are nimble and are usually quite quick on their feet.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, volanti have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Speed Volanti base land speed is 30 feet.
- Human Blood: Volanti count as humans for any effect related to race.
- Low-Light Vision: Volanti can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Skills: Volanti gain a rank in the fly skill at first level and gain one additional rank whenever they gain a level. This does not allow volanti to exceed the maximum number of ranks put into the fly skill per level. Fly is always considered a class skill for Volanti.
- Glide (Ex): Volanti may glide to traverse horizontal distances and negate falling damage with a successful fly check. For every 5 feet down the he may travel up to 20 feet forward on the wing. Volanti have a glide speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). While he may not hover (initially) he may travel downward at as little as 10 feet per round. They may not glide (or fly) while carrying more than a light load. If rendered unconscious while airborne a volanti wing’s will slow his fall sufficiently to take one quarter normal falling damage. The Volanti's glide speed is equal to it's land speed.
- Short Flight (Ex) Upon reaching his fifth character level a volanti may use their wings to fly for short distances at Speed 40 (average maneuverability). He may fly for up to his constitution modifier in rounds (minimum 1) thereafter he must rest for five minutes. If he flies for longer he must make a fort save every round (DC number of rounds flown) or become fatigued. Once fatigued he needs to make no further fort checks to continue flying until he has flown for more than twice his con modifier (minimum 2 rounds). He must then save each round or become exhausted and be forced to land immediately. In any event he may remain in flight for a maximum of 10 minutes per day + 1 minute per point of Con modifier, any more than this and he automatically becomes fatigued (or exhausted if already fatigued). Time spent gliding does not count against the limit of number of rounds he may spend flying. Given sufficient height he may even rest for the requisite five minutes while gliding.
- Dive (Ex) Volanti may make a aerial charge with a piercing weapon. The distance traveled downward must be at least 10 feet and the lateral distance must be at least 10 feet. At the conclusion of such a charge the volanti deals double damage if he succeeds at hitting his target. (lances have no particular effect on a dive attack)
- Flight (Ex) Upon reaching his 10th character level a volanti is no longer inherently fatigued by flight. Flying becomes merely as tiring to the volanti as ground movement. The volanti's fly speed is still 40 feet (average manoeuverability).
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
- Racially Favored Class: If a volanti choses cleric or sorcerer as a favored class they receive both +1 skill point and +1 hit point (rather than one or the other) any time they take a level in that class. This choice must be made at 1st level and cannot be changed.
- Unlike normal humans volanti do not receive an additional feat at first level.