Mongrelfolk are hideous creatures seemingly pieced together from parts of other monsters as some sort of vile joke or blight on humanity. Though not inherently evil, mongrelmen are often shunned from society because of their appearance. They make their homes far from civilization, and those few encountered in settled areas are usually slaves or servants of the local humanoid races. Mongrelfolk that must travel among other races take precautions so as not to reveal their true identities, using cloaks, capes, and the like to hide their forms. Mongrelman society is a collection of close-knit tribes, each with its own leader. Mongrelfolk never fight against other mongrelfolk, preferring to live peaceably with others of their kind, for all mongrelmen know they are shunned by outsiders and must stick together if their race is to survive. Mongrelmen speak their own guttural language, a dialect of lonic.
In Auldelia it is thought that mongrelfolk are descendants of the victims of unspeakable Zeomantic experiments made by ancient tyrants against their own workers.
Mongrelfolk stand about 6 feet tall. The average lifespan of a mongrelman is 35 years.
|Level||Hit Dice||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Skill Points||CR||Special|
|1st||1d8||+0||+0||+2||+0||(2 + int mod)||1/2||+2 Con, +2 Wis, -4 Cha, Sound Imitation, Feat +2 Stealth and Sleight of Hand, 2 Beneficial Monstrosities|
|2nd||2d8||+1||+0||+3||+0||(2 + int mod)||1||+2 Dex, +2 Str, +4 Stealth and Sleight of Hand, Beneficial Monstrosity|
Mongrelfolk Racial Traits
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -4 Charisma. Mongrelmen are hardy, nimble, and worldly, but are almost without exception hideous and lacking in confidence.
- Blooded: Mongrelfolk count as humans for any effect related to race, they similarly count as any race the have a monstrous characteristic from.
- Automatic Language: Mongrelfolk & Lonic Bonus Languages: Athalish, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, and Orc
- Racial Hit Dice: Mongrelfolk begin with two levels of humanoid, see the chart below for a detailed level breakdown of the gangrel monstrous race.
- Mongrelfolk are either small or medium players may chose their size at character creation.
- Most Mongrelfolk are medium creatures with a base land speed of 30 feet. They suffer no bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Roughly 10% of mongrelfolk are small in size with a base land speed of 20 feet. Small mongrelfolk do not recieve a racial ability bonus for strength. As a small creature they gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty to their Combat Maneuver Bonus and Combat Maneuver Defense, and an additional +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Racial Skills: A mongrelfolk's humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 2X (2 + int modifier) Its class skills are: Acrobatics, Perception, Stealth, Sleight of Hand, and Survival.
- +4 natural armor bonus.
- Racially Favored Class: Rogue
- Monstrous Makeup (Ex): Mongrelfolk bodies combine elements of myriad creatures. Some of these elements may confer bonuses (see beneficial monstrosity below), the rest merely define the appearance of the character. Player characters always define their own monstrous makeup, NPCs may have 2d6 monstrous characteristics generated randomly using the table below.
|Random Mongrelfolk Generation|
|1d20 roll||Body Type||1d12 roll||Body Part|
|1||Missing body part (Use common sense on this one. Obviously, a mongrelman cannot be missing part of its torso.)||1||Head|
|8||Gnome or Halfling||8||Right Foot|
|9||Orc or ogre||9||Right Leg|
|12||Gnoll||12||Eyes or Ears|
|14||Hobgoblin, or Bugbear|
|16||Cephalopod (eg. Octopus or Squid)|
Any body part not described by this process can be assumed to be either vaguely human, or perhaps even a peculiar bit of monsterous anatomy which defies easy catagorization.
- Beneficial and Detrimental Monstrosity(Ex): A mongrelfolk player character gains 2 beneficial monstrosities at first level and one additional monstrosity at 2nd level. A mongrelfolk gains abilities in addition to the ones noted in the stat block above based on some of the actual body parts that make up that mongrelfolk. Below are descriptions of the body parts and additional abilities gained. Some of the body parts a mongrelfolk may have as part of their monsterous makeup incur penalties, At first level a mongrelfolk may elect to aquire two or more Detrimental Monstrosities for which they receive an additional beneficial monstrosity at third level.
|Statistical effects of Monstrosities|
|Type||Beneficial Monstrosities Possible||Detrimental Monstrosities Possible|
|Gnoll||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +3 racial bonus on perception checks. Ear: +3 racial bonus on Perception checks. Arm: +4 effective Strength score using that arm.|
|Goblin:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +3 racial bonus on Perception check. Ear: +3 Perception check.||-2 effective Strength score using that arm.|
|Hobgoblin:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +3 racial bonus on Perception check Ear: +3 Perception check.|
|Kobold:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +2 racial bonus on Perception check, and light sensitivity. Ear: +2 racial bonus on Perception check.||Arm (small): may only wield light weapons, may not employ heavy shields or tower shield & -2 effective strength score using that arm|
|Merfolk:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +4 racial bonus on Perception check. Ear: +4 Perception check. Head: the mongrelman can breathe water and air equally. Lower torso (fish tail): mongrelman can only move on land at 5 feet per round, but can swim at 50 feet per round and gains a +8 Swim check.||Foot: foot is actually a fin or flipper, and the mongrelman moves at one half speed while on land.|
|Locathah:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +3 racial bonus on Perception check. Ear: +3 racial bonus on Perception check. Head: the mongrelman can breathe water and air equally well.|
|Sahuagin:||Ear: +3 racial bonus on Perception check. Arm: +2 effective Strength score using that arm. Head: the mongrelman can breathe water and air equally.||Eye:light blindness (see sahuagin).|
|Dwarf:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. Head: stonecunning ability as a dwarf. Upper torso: +2 to saves against poison.||Legs(short): -5 ft movement (if both legs are dwarven the character gains the Slow and Steady dwarven racial trait)|
|Elf:||Eye: low-light vision and +2 racial bonus on Perception checks. Ear: +2 Perception check. Head: if entire head is elven, the mongrelman may gain a +2 racial bonus to Will saves against enchantment spells or effects.|
|Gnome:||Eye: low-light vision. Ear: +2 racial bonus on Perception check. Head: gains a +2 bonus to saves against illusions.||Arm (small): may only wield light weapons, may not employ heavy shields or tower shield & -2 effective strength score using that arm Leg: Movement reduced by 5 ft.|
|Halfling:||Ear: +3 Perception check. Lower torso: gains +2 on Move Silently checks.||Arm (small): may only wield light weapons, may not employ heavy shields or tower shield & -2 effective strength score using that arm Leg: +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Movement reduced by 5 ft.|
|Orc or ogre:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. Arm: +4 effective Strength score using that arm (orc) or +10 effective Strength score using that arm (ogre) (counts as an additional beneficial monstrosity).||Head: -4 int Eye: light sensitivity.|
|Troglodyte:||Eye: darkvision 90 ft. Upper or lower torso: gains the stench attack and a +4 bonus to stealth checks for changing its skin color as the standard troglodyte.|
|Bugbear:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. Arm: +4 effective Strength score using that arm.|
|Minotaur:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. and +4 racial bonus on Search and Perception checks. Ear: +4 racial bonus on Perception check. Arm: +4 effective Strength score using that arm. (or +8 as an additional beneficial monstrosity) Head: gore attack for 1d8+ Strength modifier|
|Lizardfolk:||Arm: +2 effective Strength score using that arm. Hand: gains claw attack that deals 1d4 + Strength modifier damage. Jaw/mouth: gains bite attack that deals 1d4 + Strength modifier damage. Lower torso: gains a lizardfolk’s tail and +4 racial bonus on to Balance, Jump, and Swim checks.|
|Cephalapod:||Arm: Tentacle arm can wield only light weapons but imparts the improved grab ability on unarmed strikes.||Leg: -5 ft. movement|
|Primate:||Arm: +4 effective Strength score using that arm. Foot: Opposable Toes +4 to climb checks||Head: -6 Int|
|Crustacean:||Eye: darkvision 60 ft. Hand: hand is actually a large pincer like that of the crab, gains claw attack that deals 1d6 + Strength modifier damage, and gains improved grab and squeeze attacks (deals an additional 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage).(may not wield weapons) Body: additional +3 Natural armor (+7 total), but may not wear manufactured armor|
|Serpent||Head: gains bite attack that deals 1d4 + Strength modifier damage + poison (equivalent to black adder venom) (counts as two beneficial monstrosities).||Leg: Legs are fused into a single tail, -10 penalty to climb checks|
|Magical||This portion of the creature’s body is supernatural, perhaps it’s an eyestalk for a limb which can levitate objects, a gland that permits fire breathing or legs that permit the creature to jump further than would be naturally possible. The affected body part permits the creature to use a first level spell, as a spell like ability once per day per 5 character levels attained (mimimum 1/day) the caster level is equal to the mongrelfolk’s hit die||If the aforementioned bodypart unusable as a regular part of its kind it may qualify as a Detrimental Monstrosity as well|
|Notes: If a has mongrelfolk arms of differing strength it has no impact on encumbrance. If wielding a weapon in two hands add the full strength bonus from the stronger arm and half the strength bonus of the smaller arm.|
|Any natural attacks the mongrelfolk may make count as secondary attacks (with the standard -5 penalty) if the mongrelfolk uses them along with weapon attacks|
Based upon Mongrelman from Tome of Horrors Revised see open game license 1.0a from details.